Thursday's UFC on Versus 6 pre-fight press conference was held at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT and hosted by UFC Vice President of Community Relations Reed Harris. Featured on the panel were UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz and number one contender Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson, alongside heavyweight co-headliners Stefan Struve and Pat Barry. Welterweight participants Charlie Brenneman and Anthony Johnson were also present. The conference was open to the public and streamed on MMA Nation.
UFC on Versus 6 will be held on October 1st at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. For more analysis, follow MMA Nation (@MMANation) on Twitter.
Here are partial notes from each participant.
- Everything's going fine. I'm right where I should be and I'm on point.
- I'm not going out there to defend anything. I'm going out there to win a title.
- Success feels good. I feel that I'm a fighter and this is what I do, and I love my job. It's easier to say focused when I see all these maniacs coming up the division that want to fight me and take my belt.
- It's kind of weird but I do feel at home here (in D.C.). I come out here as often as I can do get training in with these guys.
- (Asked whether he received advice from Steven Seagal) No. I went up and tried to say something to him and he had his sunglasses on. I was like, 'Man you're a lot bigger than you look on TV,' and he just looked at me. I don't know if I made him mad or something. He didn't have one thing to say to me.
- He's the champion. He's a great champion. He's beat the best of the best in the weight class. Saturday night I'm coming to bring the fire.
- I bring a whole new set of tools. I come out and I bring the pace and I do what I do.
- I'm the smallest guy in the UFC. It is what it is, everyone sees me as an underdog. Story of my life.
- I don't know about the rankings. I know if I get a win over Stefan Struve, that puts me one place above him.
- Stefan could lay on his back and submit me standing me up. Do I plan on going to the ground? No. I don't plan on going to the ground ever. Ever. Even in practice. But I'm ready for it.
- I personally don't have hostility against anybody. I wasn't aware there was tension against (Cheick) Kongo.
- (Asked about the infamous staredown with Kongo) The staredown? He was leaning on my forehead and I was keeping him balanced with my face.
- Stefan and I, I've known him for two or three years now. There's no anger heading into this fight between us.
- Anytime you can do anything to make someone feel smile or get someone to laugh, that's my contribution to humanity.
- I think the humor that comes across from me to people is just my honesty, saying the things that tough guys don't normally say.
- I've been doing my camp in Holland. I'm fighting K-1 level kickboxers like Daniel Ghita in preparation.
- (How he can defend a Pat Barry high kick) High kick? Block it with my shin.
- Charlie doesn't surprise me with his skills. He's a really talented fighter.
- I love fighting too much, this is where my heart is. Acting is hard. I'd rather get punched in the face than have to do a scene over and over again.
- The weight is coming off fine. It's the best training camp I've had. I'll be alright.
- When it comes to go-time, it's one of those things where we revert back to where we're comfortable. What I do in this fight depends on what he throws at me. I'm prepared for every aspect of it.
- After the success of my last fight, it didn't change my training but me personally. But I hold myself to a higher standard now.
- Ticket sales are going well but there are still tickets available.
- I was down in Brazil, and I tell you, it was amazing. It was probably one of the most incredible events I've ever been to.
- These guys (featherweights and bantamweights) are incredible fighters. They've already broken through. These guys are every bit as good of fighters as the heavyweights.
- I don't know if the success or failure of this event plays into us bringing a pay-per-view (to D.C.). Washington D.C. has been on the radar for a long time.
- We're going to possibly do a show in Vegas the same night we have our show in Japan.