It was an incredible fight and a lot closer than the oddsmakers ever gave it credit. According to the judges here in Washington, D.C. Lamont Peterson was very effective when he was able to press Amir Khan against the ropes and work the body. Khan, by contrast, was better when he did the opposite: stick and move in the center of the ring, using superior boxing.
MMA Nation scored the fight a draw, 113-113. However, two of the points Peterson was awarded came from point deductions from referee Joe Cooper. That would prove to be fatal to Khan.
The official result result: (113-112 Peterson, 114-111 Khan, 113-112 Peterson). Lamont Peterson defeats Amir Khan by split decision and is the new WBA and IBF light welterweight champion of the world.
Khan vs. Peterson results:
- Lamont Peterson defeats Amir Khan by split decision (113-112 Peterson, 114-111 Khan, 113-112 Peterson)
- Seth Mitchell defeats Timur Ibragimov by TKO (referee stoppage) at 2:48 of round 1.
- Thomas Williams defeats Reynaldo Rodriguez by TKO (referee stoppage) at :54 of round 2.
- Anthony Peterson defeats Daniel Attah by unanimous decision (80-72, 80-72, 80-72)
- Jamie Kavanagh and Ramesis Gil reach majority draw (58-56 Kavanagh, 57-57, 57-57)
- Fernando Guerrero defeats Robert Kliewer by KO at :45 of round 5.
- Dusty Harrison defeats Terrell Davis via TKO (referee stoppage) at 2:46 of round 1.
- Terron Grant defeats Dashawn Autry by TKO (referee stoppage) at 1:10 of round 1.
- Joshua Davis defeats Chris Russell via unanimous decision (40-36, 39-37, 39-37)